Monday, August 19, 2013

Festivals and Reasons to Be Somewhere

Yeah, it's been awhile.  Mostly cuz, well, I moved.  And things got crazy.  And I haven't really BEEN anywhere for awhile.  I know, no excuse.  And I also know that I've been exploring this new city I live in and haven't recorded any of that here.  However, my summer job of teaching children ALL DAY has now come to an end, and in my epic quest to become a time millionaire, I hope to devote some new found free time to getting this a little bit more up to date.

One exciting new life event: The travel magazine that I provide online content for made me a Richmond "Local Expert" and contracted me for a freelance gig about the best of RVA.  Check out my "expert" Richmond picks here:
http://www.afar.com/travelers/kerry-mcgee/wanderlists/a-locals-guide-to-the-capital-of-the-confederacy

And - just as a source of inspiration, my alarm went off this morning, and NPR treated me to two travel stories, both about one day festivals or events that transformed a place.  First was a children's circus taking over the streets of Kabul:

Students at the Afghan Mobile Mini Circus for Children participate in the juggling parade on the streets of Kabul before Afghanistan's eighth annual national juggling championship last week.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/19/212659070/in-kabul-a-juggling-act-that-offers-joy-for-afghan-kids

And also - apparently today is beach day in Paris - the city brings in a bunch of sand and turns a half mile stretch of the Seine into a Boardwalk.

People enjoy the sun next to Pont Neuf bridge as "Paris Plage, or Paris Beach, opens along the banks of the Seine river in Paris, on July 20. The annual free event brings a half-mile of beach into the heart of the French capital.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013/08/19/212384535/sun-sand-and-the-seine-the-beach-comes-to-paris

I love how festivals can make your home town feel different and cool, and lets you look at it through new eyes - and you notice that everyone else is doing the same, and having a real ball doing it.  It really reinforces the sense of community in a place.  I know I've seen this during The Folk Festival in RVA, the County Fair in Mt. Pleasant, and even with more structured events like the National Boys Tennis Tournament in Kalamazoo.  It gives the feeling of a holiday in your home town, and it's great seeing how many people regularly play hooky to take part in the local festivities.

So, until I catch you up to date with my new life in yet another Capital city (The Northern one, this time), enjoy the holiday spirit in Paris and Kabul.

No comments:

Post a Comment